September 13, 2009

spiritual discipline

OK…so I’m going to get back into the groove of this whole blogging thing, and honestly I’m not very good at it. But I have come to find that it helps me focus all of my scatter-brained thoughts into one collective unit. Something about seeing my thoughts captured on a sheet of paper (or a computer screen in this case) just makes me feel better. I’m not sure why, but it does. So this is my feeble attempt at re-entry into the world of blogging!

After the amazing, transforming summer I had, it is difficult to maintain such a focus on the homefront. I am trying to be as disciplined now as I was this summer in regards to Bible study and Scripture memory. We were challenged to memorize 26 verses this summer, and I was surprised at how naturally it came for me. I still remember those verses and frequently look over them, but I’m in a slump when it comes to learning new ones. Although I have memorized a few new verses since coming home, the discipline has not been very consistent. So, my aim is to memorize at least one new verse a week, some of which I have memorized in the past and unfortunately forgot due to lack of study. So this week, my focus is on Philippians 4:6-7 and 2 Chronicles 7:14. As easy as it may sound, I have found it very difficult to be so disciplined with this in the past. But after seeing how Scripture memory was so beneficial to me this summer, not only personally but for ministry purposes, I am determined to stick with it. I ask that anyone who knows about this endeavor hold me accountable, and join me in the challenge if you desire!

Philippians 4:6-7 --- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

2 Chronicles 7:14 --- “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ. --- Jerome, A.D. 340-420

We fail in our duty to study God's Word not so much because it is difficult to understand, not so much because it is dull and boring, but because it is work. Our problem is not a lack of intelligence or a lack of passion. Our problem is that we are lazy. --- R.C. Sproul



1 comment:

Sabrina Pate said...

i so need help with this!!! i have been so inconsistent with memorizing every since college. so its been a week since this post- how are you doing with it??