September 20, 2009

control freak


I am a control freak. I always have been. When I am in a group project, I tend to do most of the work just because I have to make sure it’s done right. I have to look at the map (or Mapquest printout!) even if someone says it is the way to go. In the grand scheme of life, however, this tends to get me in trouble. Recently, God has been reminding me about “letting go of the map.” I made Him my Navigator years ago, but the control freak in me keeps trying to peek over His shoulder to find out where we are going. Honestly, that just proves my lacking faith in His plan, even though that is hard to admit.

For many years, I have struggled with where God may be leading me and whether I was fully surrendered to His calling. After getting rid of some selfishness and fear in my heart, I said, “Ok, I’ll go. But where are we going?” I felt much like Abraham when God said, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you” (Genesis 12:1). The only difference was that Abraham didn’t question God and His plan, where I wanted (and still do at times!) to know His exact plan and how we would get there. But because God is faithful, He continues to reveal things in His timing, whispering, “This is the way, walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21). Letting go of control is always going to be a struggle for me, but His will is perfect. He gives us all a similar call. And, just like Abraham, He simply asks us to trust Him, even when we can’t see the final destination. So, put down the map and just let Him drive!


1 comment:

Sabrina Pate said...

nice thoughts and imagery!

i totally thought i had started following your blog and that you just didnt update anymore- then i visit and low and behold, i am not a follower?? sorry about that! i am so on bored now!

thanks for the encouraging words on my blog!