March 4, 2010

Things change, but He remains the same.

It seems as if I have blogging streaks that I go through… I will blog faithfully for a period of time, then stop altogether for a while. So, I guess this is the onset of yet another blogging spree. We’ll just see how long it lasts this time! Much has changed since my last entry. I wrote about my visit to Southern Seminary in Louisville, and that is where I finally decided to go upon graduating from WKU in May. I have been accepted to the Master of Arts in Missiology program, and I am excited about beginning classes in August!

God has really been working in my life over the past few months, and He has shown me just how perfect His timing is. He is in complete control over every situation and circumstance, and there are several things that testify to that fact.

First of all, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to have a little sister, but God has brought a beautiful baby girl into my family. She has been with us since December 17th every day and night, and my parents are seeking permanent custody of her. Now at 6 months old, Serenity (her name) has grown in leaps and bounds since she first came to stay with us. I have fallen in love with her, and she has captured my heart. It is such a wonderful experience to have a sister, especially now that I am nearly 22 and my brother, Brian, is 18. Now my mom’s house is cluttered with baby stuff, which is definitely a new adventure for all of us. Since Serenity came into our lives, much has changed, but God orchestrated the whole thing.

Also, a year ago I was preparing for a summer in Malaysia, but this summer my destination is Istanbul, Turkey! A door of opportunity has opened for a team to serve among university students in Turkey, and I have been accepted to be on that team. I will be doing much of the same type of work I did in Malaysia: teaching English, coordinating events, and sharing Christ through relationships with college students. I am sure it will be a dramatically different experience, and I cannot wait to see what God has in store! Preparation for this summer is underway, as I have sent out support letters, asking for prayer and financial support. Praise God for wonderful people who are supportive in prayer and encouragement! I am blessed with friends and family who are loving and generous. It is not easy raising the finances for a trip like this, but God provides all I need, and I trust Him with the results. My flight is scheduled to leave May 18th, which is just 3 days after my graduation! I will share more about my preparation for Turkey in future entries.

There is also another transition I am going through. Foremost on my heart and mind is my change of church membership. This is something I have been praying about for quite a while, and I have had a difficult time surrendering it to the Lord. I finally had to let go and be obedient to His leadership. This past Sunday was my last as a member of the church I have always been a part of, and next Sunday I am joining a new church family. I feel God leading me to minister among the youth of this new church, and I am anticipating what God has planned as I serve among a new family in Christ. It is such an emotional experience for me because I love my church family, and God is definitely blessing that body of believers, but I must go where He leads. One thing I have come to realize is that obedience is more important than convenience, which sounds obvious, but it is a hard lesson to learn. May times obedience is inconvenient, but that doesn’t exempt us from doing what we are called to do. So, I am stepping forward in faith and expecting great things from God!

Like I said, much has changed since my last entry. However, one thing remains true:


“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8

That is my anchor when the waves are rocking my boat.


1 comment:

Sabrina Pate said...

yay for an update! i have needed to know what was going on in your life! Turkey! How exciting and scary. I will be praying. and the church change, is this church here or at home? yay for youth ministry, its challenging but so needed.