October 26, 2009

decisions, decisions...


Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Preview Weekend at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville. Upon graduation from WKU in May, I am not entirely sure where God is leading me. Honestly, I do not want to be in school any longer. I feel like that chapter in my life is quite lengthy, and it’s time for a change. However, I feel God nudging me to go to seminary, for whatever reason. My prayer has been (and still is!) that God would help me to trust though there’s a reason I can’t understand.

Before the Preview Weekend at Southern, I had many concerns and questions about specific degree programs that I was interested in. The weekend was great in the sense that I got most of my questions answered and was able to narrow my options to a few degrees. I am not completely set on attending seminary at Southern, but I would like to visit both Southwestern (in Texas) and Southeastern (in NC). So, after the weekend, I knew more precisely what to pray for in terms of future plans. First of all, I am praying for direction and clarity in regards to where I should go and what degree plan to pursue. Second, I am in prayer about what type of ministry God wants me to focus on while I am in seminary. And lastly, I am praying for peace that transcends all understanding. The last one is the most difficult because I want to know details, but God doesn’t always show me everything for my own good.

Right now, I am in the process of applying to Southern and have to get all of my references lined up to be sent in. It is definitely a bittersweet process, and exciting at the same time. There is only one part of the application that I have left blank. The decision of which degree to pursue is not to be taken lightly, so I have been praying and other people have been praying for me to have an answer to this uncertainty. What I do know is that God has given me a heart for missions and I desire to somehow glorify Him through that passion. There are so many people asking me what I plan to do with my degree from WKU in Religious Studies, and the only thing I can say is that I will devote myself to glorifying Christ with the gifts and passions He has given me, in whatever way He sees fit. Most of the time I wish I could answer with a practical career goal, such as teaching or counseling or social work, but then I realize that God has not called me to be practical. He wants me to be radically sold out to Him, no matter how ridiculous that may sound to the world. So whether I end up at Southern or not, I know one thing for sure – my life is in His hands.

“Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your glory…take my life and let it be Yours.”


2 comments:

Margaret said...

i love you samantha! just reading your blog puts me to shame..i want the trust and complete surrendur to God that you have...you're awesome! i know all these decisions are kind of big and overwhelming at times..i'm trying to figure out just what to do with myself right now. God will reveal all the answers to us in His time..I just need to remember that! but your enthusiasm excites me and is kind of comforting in some weird way!

Casey chappell said...

just stumbled onto your blog today. Did you ever decide on a seminary? My husband and I both met at SoutheasternBTS and now are in Fort Worth where He is taking classes at Southwestern and Redeemer Seminary in Dallas. So, if you ever need a woman's perspective on these schools... feel free to let me know.
you can email me at caseylynn_78@yahoo.com anytime.
or find me on facebook under Casey Nichols Chappell.

Glad God brought me to your blog today. Hope you're having a great week so far.

Blessings,
Casey
http://www.caseychappell.typepad.com