February 19, 2008

struggle with ministry

Ministry isn't easy. I'm not sure Jesus meant for it to be either. There are costs involved in following Him and obedience is hard. In Matthew 8:18-22 and in Luke 9:57-62, Jesus clearly lays out the cost that following Him would entail. Jesus Himself didn't even have a place to rest His head...who am I to complain? Ministry wasn't meant to be easy - the sacrifice is too great that Jesus made for us on the cross.

I have been struggling with this truth. It doesn't take much for me to grow frustrated and tired as I minister to others. I have become almost burnt out with the ministry God has given me here on the campus of WKU, mostly because Satan keeps putting distractions in my way. He is out to steal, kill, and destroy. It's a spiritual battle, but praise Jesus the war was over when He conquered death through His resurrection. With this in mind, I am learning to trust that I have nothing to fear. I serve a mighty God! The ministry is HIS, not mine...so I can believe His Word and let Him work through me. How liberating! So many times I have just wanted to throw in the towel, but God gave me a verse to keep me strong. "Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart." - 2 Corinthians 4:1.

When God through His mercy calls and commissions His servants, He also supplies the strength necessary for us to persevere in the face of hardship, frustration, and persecution. He alone is worthy! Ministry is HIS!

No comments: