February 21, 2008

rainy days with the God of all comfort

I love the rain. I love listening to it. I love watching it fall. I love playing in it. I love the rain. Something about a rainy day makes all my stresses go away. To me, rain is like a glimpse of God’s comfort. One glimpse of His comfort sweeps away all thoughts of the world, and the suffering of this life, and brings delight to the soul of the one that is His. God's comfort brings that peace and pleasure which the smiles of the world cannot give, and the frowns of the world cannot take away.

Today was a rainy day. Well, if you consider icy sleet as rain, it was. I had the opportunity to curl up in my fleece blanket and spend time with the God of All Comfort. For most college students, rainy days are no fun. We have to put on our rain boots, tote our umbrellas (that usually end up breaking), keep our hair from frizzing, try not to fall walking to class, and roll up our jeans so they don’t get soaked as our boots slosh in the puddles. Rainy days require extra energy for college students who tend to skip class regularly. But for me…I LOVE RAINY DAYS! The rain soothes me and helps me to take my focus off of everyday stresses. The rain reminds me of God’s presence and His grace.

Most days, I stress more than I should. I am the type of person who procrastinates on everything, becomes involved in too much, and carries everyone’s burdens as my own. All this baggage weighs me down constantly. I stress about my family, the salvation of others, my health, school, deadlines, financial situations, my future as a missionary, and even my past. But somehow, rainy days relieve my mind from all of these anxieties. Today, while I was cuddling with my fleece blanket, I came across a verse in Psalm 94 that gave authenticity to my thoughts for today.


When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

Psalm 94:18-19

No matter what I stress over or how often that stress plagues me, there is always consolation for my soul through God and His Word. There is nothing that I have to face that He has not already endured on my behalf. He paid it all when Jesus died on the cross and took the stresses and sins of the world upon Himself. Praise Jesus for rainy days (and sunny ones)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen. I wish I could have snugged up with you today :( I am glad that you experiencing God's comfort and letting the stress go. maybe one day we will stop procrastinating hehe. i love youuuuu-deb