April 27, 2010

Freedom

This morning I took a precious new friend, who is an international student from Vietnam, to the airport in Nashville. On the way there, we talked about several things, including family, school, career goals, food, etc. All of those subjects are great for conversation, especially with someone who has a different cultural background, but the most important and blessed part of our conversation was the dialogue about faith in Jesus Christ. She knew (assumed) I was a Christian because of my association with the BCM on campus, but I had no clue what she believed. I soon discovered that she comes from an inherently Buddhist family, but she is more of a “free thinker.” This opened up a door for me to share about my faith in Christ with her. Praise the Lord for the chance to openly and clearly share the gospel with a young lady from Vietnam who may have never heard it if she weren’t an international student in the U.S.! I pray that God will place more people in her life to encourage her and show her the love of Christ, and that she would come to know Him personally as her Savior and Lord.

The drive back to Bowling Green from Nashville alone was a wonderful time to pray for my new friend from Vietnam. The Lord kept bringing a verse to my mind that I had just rediscovered not long before today.

“I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.” Psalm 119:32

We are set free! I couldn’t help but think about the label she had given herself as a “free thinker.” The humbling truth is that without Christ, we are in chains to our sin, and ONLY He can set us free. I prayed that she would truly be set free and run to the Lord as a result. This psalm is so amazing because it reminds us that God sets our hearts free (“you have set my heart free”). I love the imagery it portrays of running in the path of His commands. When someone is set free, they naturally would want to do anything but obey a set of commands, much less run to them! But that’s what is so amazing about God’s grace – it draws us to Him. Later in Psalm 119, it says “Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight” (vs. 35). As children of God, we delight in what He desires because He is the One who sets us free through new life in Christ.

This is my prayer not only for my Vietnamese friend, but also for everyone who is bound by the chains of sin – that their hearts would be completely set free, their shackles abandoned at the altar, and they would run passionately to the One who set them free!

Free

Newsboys

Through You the blind will see
Through You the mute will sing
Through You the dead will rise
Through You our hearts will praise
Through You the darkness flees
Through You my heart screams I am free
I am free!

I am free to run
I am free to dance
I am free to live for You
I am free
Yes, I am free!


Through You the kingdom comes
Through You the battle's won
Through You I'm not afraid
Through You the price is paid
Through You there's victory
Because of You my heart Sings I am free
I am free!

Who the Son sets free is free indeed.
Who the Son sets free is free indeed.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song. It's a good one. :)

Anonymous said...

You are such a blesing! I pray for doors to open and God to use you in a mighty way!

Sabrina Pate said...

thanks for the challenge and encouragement dear! So excited you got this opportunity!